Subject: Re: Mouse console support
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Julio Merino <juli@merino.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/01/2002 22:02:29
--uZ3hkaAS1mZxFaxD

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 02:07:09PM -0400, Jared D. McNeill wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Feb 2002, Bang Jun-Young wrote:
> > I had a look at the OpenBSD code before, and I came to the
> > following conclusion: It shouldn't be committed as it is. Other
>=20
> I had a talk with Julio on IRC, and suggested that most of the stuff in
> the kernel in OpenBSD's implementation simply didn't need to be there.
>=20
> The solution that he came up with (correct me if I'm wrong, Julio!) is to
> only add a getchar ioctl to the wsdisplay driver. Everything else could be
> done in user space simply by getchar, modify, putchar. The copy/paste
> buffer could easily be done in userspace instead of the kernel as well.

Yeah, my idea is the following: provide a getchar and a putchar ioctl, that
can access random postions on screen buffer (see my other post). Each ioctl
should return the letter in the position, as well as its attributes. Why?
wsmoused will need to change their color to make the cursor appere. Well,
I don't know how other archs work, but I guess they are still using
character+attributes. So, returning/setting a simple structure with both
fields would be the main idea.

Then, wsmoused is the program that will control mouse movement, selections,
and pastes. Kernel changes will be minimun, and can also be made optional.

So, what do you think?

Thanks

>=20
> Jared