Subject: Re: VIA VT82C686A IDE problems on a Gigabyte GA-6VX7-4X
To: Lloyd Parkes <lloyd@must-have-coffee.gen.nz>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/30/2002 00:09:24
On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 10:36:34AM +1300, Lloyd Parkes wrote:
> I'm having trouble with the ATAPI support for this chip. I have a
> Seagate Hornet as the sole device on channel 2, and NetBSD is unable to
> find it. The BIOS find it without any trouble. I also had some trouble
> with an ATAPI Zip drive that would reject the I/O mode the first time it
> was set (you know, UDMA, DMA, PIO), but if the exact same settings were
> retried (via a minor code fiddle), it would work.
>
> I have also noticed that my motherboard vendor has issued an updated
> BIOS with the following note '1. Mechanism of UDMA of IDE secondary
> channel with ATAPI device is reworked ' Am I suspicious or what?
	hmm.. that's funny.  I've got an Asus A7V with the same VIA
chip.  I've been having silent data corruption problems with it.
I fiddled withh some bios options and that turned into a bunch of DMA
errors.  I turned off an option called "System Performance" and the
problem seems to have gone away.
	Perhaps your bios has something similar?

eric