Subject: Re: clarification between machine_arch and machine
To: Ben Harris <>
From: Andrew Brown <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/27/2002 11:09:52
>>>   Currently uname states:
>>>   -m      print the machine hardware name. $MACHINE
>>>   -p      print the machine processor architecture name. $MACHINE_ARCH
>>>i don't see what the problem here is.
>>the i386 lacks the ability to report "i486", or "i586", or "athlon" or
>>anything else that might be considered interesting.
>sysctl hw.model?

well...that "works" for i386, since i get

	hw.model = Intel Pentium III (Coppermine) (686-class)

but on my sparc i get this

	hw.model = MB86904 @ 110 MHz, on-chip FPU

which doesn't relate at all the the sun4foo stuff.

>We could perhaps do with better and more consistent fine-grained reporting
>of CPU types, but I'm not sure uname is the right place for it.

since i don't have any other machines or systems at my fingertips with
which to counter this statement, i'll have to disagree and say it just
seems like the right answer.