Subject: What calls init?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Fairbrother <peter.fairbrother@ntlworld.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/26/2002 09:15:00
What calls init during booting on i386, and where in source is it (the
program that calls init, not init itself)? I need to rename init and still
have the system boot.

( I am trying to make a single CD that boots and runs on two platforms, i386
and macppc. Managed to get them to boot and run an separate CD's, and both
to _start_ booting on one CD (anyone want coasters!).

The cd9660 filesystem is common to both platforms, and many files eg those
in /sbin, /etc, /dev etc. have the same names. I plan to make platform
dependant links to these files using /etc/rc or etc/rc.local, or perhaps mv
the relevant files to / , but I need to run init before I can make the
links, so I'll have to rename init on one platform.

Anyone done anything like this? Any ideas/suggestions/rtfm's?  Any
references to what happens after the kernel loads?  )

TIA

-- Peter Fairbrother