Subject: Re: TTY virtualization driver
To: NetBSD Kernel Technical Discussion List <>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/25/2002 13:08:41
[ On Friday, January 25, 2002 at 10:12:04 (-0500), Lord Isildur wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: TTY virtualization driver
> Then you should very clearly see why some other folks find the TTY
> virtualization to be equally abhorrent.

I think I've already clearly indicated why I would much prefer TTY
"virtualisation" despite the fact I don't always enjoy having my SCSI
disk devices assigned in the order they're probed.

Note that for some classes of TTY devices the virtualisation already
happens whether you or I want it or not.

We're really only making a stronger argument for something like
FreeBSD's USERCONFIG.  Device "virtualisation" (for lack of a better
word, and no "alias" doesn't cut it either) is here to stay, whether it
ever gets more fully implemented for TTYs.

								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;  <>;  <>;  <>