Subject: Re: TTY virtualization driver
To: NetBSD Kernel Technical Discussion List <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@uranium.vaxpower.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/25/2002 10:12:04
Then you should very clearly see why some other folks find the TTY
virtualization to be equally abhorrent. I also hard-wire scsi devices to
specific names, i dont like surprises of missing filesystems if a put in
another disk or remove one. Same goes for ttys. If ive got a machine
acting as a terminal server for the consoles of a roomful of other
machines, and i remove a failing async card, i dont want to have to
reassign 30 plugs somewhere just because all my device names (and
numbers) just changed. I want them to stay right where they are.
Someone who wants to have everything virtualized can easily get the same
effect by making some symlinks in /dev, plain and simple.

Isildur