Subject: Re: TTY virtualization driver
To: NetBSD Kernel Technical Discussion List <>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/25/2002 01:49:16
[ On Thursday, January 24, 2002 at 20:17:20 (-0800), Greywolf wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: TTY virtualization driver
> Indeed they are.  The value of a serial interface to an OS is vastly
> underrated (until the poor unfortunate soul who has the need of some
> wizardry to be performed on their soul-stolen system).  Let us hope
> this never disappears only to be replaced by something even more
> inexplicably bizarre.

Someday, maybe soon, you may not really want what you wish for.....   :-)

> ...have you ever, perchance, worked on a VAX?  They numbered things
> quite differently depending upon the model of the multiport array
> provided by Digital.

The VAX model is based on something very much unassociated with elegance
and grace.

> As an application user/programmer, you don't need to know that.

Yes, I asolutely do.  Perhaps you have not been following the complete
argument in one coherent big picture.

> You didn't read what I wrote, did you?
> "I think I'll put a getty onto the serial port that talks to the other
> machine's console."
> I wasn't talking about /dev/console.  I was talking about a serial
> connection on a different port that I've just had reconfigured out
> from under me.

Then what you said is even more irrelevant than what I thought you
said.  I was only trying to find some relevance to your argument and had
firmly believed there must be at least some.

								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;  <>;  <>;  <>