Subject: Re: TTY virtualization driver
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/24/2002 18:57:48
> If I pull out a cyclades card and plug in a lava card I've got to do
> any number of renames, either in /dev (can you spell "major mess"?),
> or in every related config file (eg. /etc/ttys, /etc/remote,
> /etc/uucp/Devices, etc.)

Whereas in your scheme, you have to build a whole new kernel to get
tty44-tty51 nailed to boca2 instead of cy1.  I'd rather do a handful of
renames in /dev than I would build a new kernel.

> Yes one can have a scheme where one manually manages the mapping of
> any number of /dev/tty* names across any number of device major,minor
> number sets, but that way lies insanity

Every scheme I've seen you propose has you managing that mapping
manually; it's just that you prefer to do it in the kernel config file
instead of in /dev.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign