Subject: Re: TTY virtualization driver
To: None <mrfusion@argonath.vaxpower.org>
From: M. Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/24/2002 09:39:00
In message: <Pine.3.89.10201241013.A13652-0100000@uranium.vaxpower.org>
            Lord Isildur <mrfusion@argonath.vaxpower.org> writes:
: dare i add a 'ditto'.. i much prefer knowing where the devices really go.
: besides, if you want to know its a serial line by its name, isnt the fact
: that by convention they all start with tty enough?? one is free to make some
: symlinks so that to _him_ there are a bunch of anonymous numbered ttys all
: going to various devices, and that serves his wishes just fine and doesnt
: muck with the whole device naming scheme to do it. KISS.

One thing I did think of last night while dozing off to sleep.  If I
were to reconfigure the number of virtual terminals, then if they were
before an add-in serial card or my normal built-in serial ports, I'd
have to make adjustments then too.  And this can be done dynmaically,
iirc (maybe I don't recall correctly, since mostly I do this with
FreeBSD, where they are dynamic).  And the whole pty thing, where
you've excluded one driver because of this exact problem...

Anyway, it does sound like a mildly cool hack.  There's code like this
in the serial drivers for NetBSD/pc98 to virtualize the different
kinds of UARTS found in NEC PC-98 machines.

Warner