Subject: Re: Kernel support for ELF-format core files
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/24/2002 09:23:28
--6tPipYVl+OcoAvSh

On Sat, Dec 15, 2001 at 05:24:22PM +1100, Darren Reed wrote:
> What happens to ps output when you get pid 100000 and pid 1000000 ?
> What about all those programs which use %5d or %05d or whatever or
> scripts which expect the pid in columns 1-5 ?

ps looks ugly and someone realizes that if you want to display a
32bit value you'd better leave the right amount of space for it.
We already lose plenty of useful data off the right side of an 80
column screen without the -w flag, losing a few more chars doesn't
seem like the end of the world.

As for the general %5d case... those programs will break and be
fixed. They're also doing the Wrong Thing by displaying a 32bit
value at less than the appropriate number of characters. It's not
like it's hard to figure out how big a pid_t is.

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net

--6tPipYVl+OcoAvSh