Subject: Re: TTY virtualization driver
To: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/22/2002 16:17:06
On 22 Jan 2002 eeh@netbsd.org wrote:

> | > Because now you need to be concerned whether your serial port is
> | > /dev/ttya or /dev/ttyZa or /dev/ttyCa or /dev/ttyHa or /dev/ttyEa....
> |
> | and i WANT to!!!!
>
> Fine.  Your preference has been noted.  You are the only one I've
> heard from who likes this.

Hmmm... Since we've gotten into a silence==agreement, I'll chime in that I
like the current scheme. :-)

I understand what eeh is getting at.

How about a different approach, rather than tty## which impact all tty
devices, just focus on the hardware which has confusion. Why not add minor
numbers to the console device, and let them alias in the same way as the
console device. The difference is that they alias the built-in serial
port, not the console.

I'm not sure what the best name would be for them.

Take care,

Bill