Subject: Re: TTY virtualization driver
To: None <wojtek@chylonia.3miasto.net>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/22/2002 10:02:20
The Problem, as I understand it from my paleolithic point of view, is
that there is, i.e., no /dev/com0, no /dev/puc0, etc. to determine
precisely where you're attaching.

I can imagine that it would be quite frustrating to have to divine which
port you were on (though plugging in and typing 'tty' once you got to
single-user mode wouldn't be too difficult  :/  ).

...or is the problem plugging into the "wrong" serial port in the first
place?

Can we even force a console at a particular place?

As the kernel prints
	root on wd0a dumps on wd0b

Could it not also note
	console on <wherever>

...or would that even be useful?

I'm just tossing darks, here -- taking shots at straws...