Subject: Re: new low level language? :-)
To: David Laight <David.Laight@btinternet.com>
From: Chris Ball <chris@void.printf.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/17/2002 20:48:25
On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 01:21:51PM -0000, David Laight wrote:
> >     Visual Basic is a low-level programming product
> >     from Microsoft that has become the tool of
> >     choice of many virus writers.
> What are the high level ones then?

This may be a tech-speak thing.  I've found that whilst 'low-level'
means 'at the core' of something, most non-coders don't associate this
with the thing being complicated; the idea of something being at a
higher level suggests that it's better and more functioning to such
people.  So perhaps the BBC are trying to express to laymen that it's
not very complicated, and far more powerful programming languages exist.

Maybe.

- Chris.
--
$a="printf.net"; Chris Ball | chris@void.$a | www.$a | finger: chris@$a
As to luck, there's the old miners' proverb: Gold is where you find it.