Subject: Re: Getting file info. in a directory "quickly"
To: David Laight <david@nohope.l8s.co.uk>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polderland.nl>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/16/2002 16:38:16
On Wed 16 Jan 2002 at 15:30:27 +0000, David Laight wrote:
> What may be taking the time - and it was the limiting factor of mkisofs
> on one system I used - is how long it takes to convert the file date to
> printable format.  Exploder wont be doing any of that (because it
> doesn't support timezones).

I would expect (given experience with the Amiga file system) that random
seeking is what takes all the time. Eventually, AmigaOS added an
ExamineAll() call to replace Examine()/ExNext() for reading complete
directories. The big advantage is that the system can sort the disk
accesses.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@polder --They that can give up essential
\X/ land.nl --liberty to purchase a little temporary safety