Subject: Re: kern/15232: ffs_sync writes out read-only pages to disk
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@chylonia.3miasto.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/13/2002 20:32:38
> > > happen if it is modified?
> >
> > this may just be updating the vnode 'last access' time.
> >
> > if you mount -o noatime,nodevmtime the disk should be more likely to
> > spin down.

BTW while reading mount manual:
             async       All I/O to the file system should be done asyn-
                         chronously.  In the event of a crash, it is
                         impossible for the system to verify the integrity
of
                         data on a file system mounted with this option.
You
                         should only use this option if you have an
applica-
                         tion-specific data recovery mechanism, or are
willing
                         to recreate the file system from scratch.

shouldn't we add: "it is as dangerous as linux in normal operation mode"
;)