Subject: Re: Problems with Xircom PCMCIA cards (device timeout)
To: None <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: M. Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/05/2002 10:20:56
In message: <20020105165726.A1123@antioche.eu.org>
            Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org> writes:
: On Sat, Jan 05, 2002 at 02:43:38PM -0000, David Laight wrote:
: > > No luck for the modem for now, the second function of the xircom adapters
: > > is not supported (this is because these cards are not true multifunction
: > > cards)
: >
: > I think they are true multifunction cards!  They just don't have the
: > correct CIS on them.
:
: So they aren't true true multifunction cards :)

Yes.  They are "MULTIFUNCION" cards in that the card type is
multifunction, but they aren't multifunction cards because they have
only one function.  Now that's confusing :-).  The CIS I've seen on a
few of my cards didn't list its function as SERIAL, but rather
MULTIFUNCTION.

The standard is clear on this distinction.  It says that when the card
is listed as a MULTIFUNCTION card as its function, then it means that
it has multiple functions, but that these functions aren't represented
by the CIS and other configuration mechanism as having discrete
functions.

: > The CIS is (on the cards I've seem) that of a modem - so the modem will
: > work in a standard system without any Xircom drivers.
:
: The one I've seen has the CIS of a modem, put points to the ethernet
: registers.

Yes.  I've seen that in the CIS as well.  FreeBSD and Linux have some
support for using both, but NetBSD's architecture will require the
shim driver, like the mhz driver.

Warner