Subject: Re: Problems with Xircom PCMCIA cards (device timeout)
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: David Laight <David.Laight@btinternet.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/05/2002 14:43:38

> No luck for the modem for now, the second function of the xircom adapters
> is not supported (this is because these cards are not true multifunction
> cards)

I think they are true multifunction cards!  They just don't have the
correct CIS on them.

The CIS is (on the cards I've seem) that of a modem - so the modem will
work in a standard system without any Xircom drivers.

Getting it working probably requires an intermediate driver layer,
and some knowledge of how to get IO space assigned.
(you also need to ensure the generic modem driver (if netbsd has one)
doesn't grab the card first.)

Thinking about it, the 'device timeout' error is likely to happen if
you (the driver) attempts to read beyond the end of a receive frame.
I have no idea why this might be happening...

    David