Subject: Re: config file ?
To: =?utf-8?B?66y47ISx?= <>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/04/2002 20:38:52
> defpsudo    xxx: ifnet ether

> In the above line, what does the meaning of the "ifnet" and "ether" ?

Nothing, on their own.

ifnet is a device class ("devclass ifnet" is present), which means that
the device (or pseudo-device, since you asked about a defpseudo line)
in question has type DV_IFNET.  Presumably there can be code in the
kernel that does something noteworthy for such devices (eg, root device
specification - root on a DV_DISK device should try mounting a
filesystem like FFS; root on a DV_IFNET device should try BOOTP/etc).

ether is just a device attribute ("define ether").  AFAIK it's used by
lines like

file net/if_ethersubr.c                 ether | fddi | netatalk | token

which includes net/if_ethersubr.c in the kernel if any "ether", "fddi",
"netatalk", or "token" attributes are indicated for included devices or

Of course, the real final reference for what the various things in
config files mean is /usr/src/usr.sbin/config/.

> I looked into  the "Device Configuration in 4.4BSD" paper, but I
> couldn't find the information about that. Is there any material about
> that?

ISTR hearing that our config(8) has moved a nontrivial distance since
that paper was written.  If true, this could explain the lack of
information you found.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML