Subject: Re: Problems with Xircom PCMCIA cards (device timeout)
To: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/04/2002 22:04:02
On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 06:16:24PM +0100, Lubomir Sedlacik wrote:
> hi,
>
> i am sorry if this is known issue (or even fix exists) but i haven't found
> anything close related to this problem.
>
> i have PCMCIA card manufactured by Xircom, CreditCard Ethernet 10/100 + 56k
> Modem. it is detected by kernel (1.5Z and 1.5ZA) as:
>
>   xi0 at pcmcia1 function 0 port 0x400-0x40f: Xircom RealPort Ethernet 10/100 + Modem 56
>   xi0: Ethernet address 00:80:c7:7e:a9:a4
>   icsphy0 at xi0 phy 0: ICS1890 10/100 media interface, rev. 3
>   icsphy0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseT, 100baseT-FDX, auto
>   pcmcia1: card irq 9
>
> when we ommit the fact that it is detected wrong (it is CreditCard, not
> RealPort) everything looks fine. but after i bring xi0 interface up, i
> periodically get a message:
>
>   # ifconfig xi0 up
>   pcmcia1: card irq 9
>   [...]
>   xi0: device timeout
>   [...]
>   xi0: device timeout

Can you try to get it on something else than IRQ 9 ?
see options(4) and PCIC_ISA_INTR_ALLOC_MASK
IRQ 9 is usually used by APCI and this may cause problems.

> [...]
>
> i would like to use both ethernet and modem with this card. is there any
> chance it will be fixed? i'll send a PR if this is not known (i haven't found
> any PR related to this problem, though).

No luck for the modem for now, the second function of the xircom adapters
is not supported (this is because these cards are not true multifunction
cards)

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>