Subject: Re: which kernel booted?
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/02/2002 17:45:47
In some email I received from matthew green, sie wrote:

> it's not just netbooting.  see macs, for instance.  the point i was
> making is that you can never in all cases know.  i guess the null
> kernel will be OK in these cases...but isn't all this moot with a
> /dev/ksyms?

Hmmm.  I'm not sure.  It solves a particular class of problems, yes.

When you have a "crowded" / (netbsd.old, netbsd. netbsd.GENERIC,
netbsd.gz, etc) and you have no "booted_kernel", how do you know
which one you are using?  Which one can I delete?  "uname -a"
and searching with strings is fine so long as you don't have one
with securelevel=-1 and another with securelevel=0 from the same
kernel build.  I think it was this that made me ask this question.

Darren