Subject: Re: which kernel booted?
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/02/2002 15:29:57
In some email I received from matthew green, sie wrote:
[...]
> sometimes the kernel image isn't available to the NetBSD userland
> at all.  eg, a shark netbooted kernel doens't have to exist in
> the machine's / at all.  i might have loaded my kernel over the
> ethernet and then used a local root filesystem...  so while you can
> add to the times when this _is_ available, you can never make it
> always possible.

Netbooting always seems to be the "forgotten child".

The problem here is that it _may_ be the same or it _may not_, with no
rule of thumb either way.  The safest thing might be to err on the side
of caution and just have netbooting pass the kernel a null kernel name
rather than what it's loaded

Darren