Subject: Re: wierd featurism
To: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
From: Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/21/2001 12:42:24
* Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au> [011221 06:01] wrote:

> I work some folks who are old vms heads and they were talking, today,
> about per-file flush rates (i'm not sure if it is every N seconds or
> X pages per N seconds).  It sounded wierd enough to be kinda cool in
> some very specific instances.  Is that even remotely possible in unix?

Of course, it would just take a bunch of kernel code to do it. :)

It also depends on which implementation you're looking for.  The
X pages per second sounds trivial by walking the dirty vnode list
every second.  The N seconds one sounds a bit more tricky but you
could do it with the proper data structure.

--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]
                           http://www.morons.org/rants/gpl-harmful.php3