Subject: Re: Two NetBSDs on one (i386) drive
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/21/2001 00:39:05
In some email I received from Robert Elz, sie wrote:
>     Date:        Thu, 20 Dec 2001 09:46:26 +0000
>     From:        Andrew Cagney <cagney@mac.com>
>
>   | Try applying the rule: don't lie.  At present, NetBSD lies to the user
>   | about DOS style partitioned disks.
>
> What's the lie?   NetBSD basically ignores DOS style partitioning
> (other than as it is used by the BIOS for booting).   As soon as a
> NetBSD label is found, it gets used, and it is all that matters.
>
> Is there something that suggests otherwise that should be fixed?

For one, to access any of the other DOS style partitions you need to
change the disklabel.  NetBSD should be able to recognise the native
partition table (on all platforms, actually) and provide some other,
more convienient mechanism to access those partitions than through
editting the disklabel.

Darren