Subject: Re: Two NetBSDs on one (i386) drive
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Andrew Cagney <cagney@mac.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/20/2001 12:13:34
>  Date:        Thu, 20 Dec 2001 09:46:26 +0000
>     From:        Andrew Cagney <cagney@mac.com>
>
> | Try applying the rule: don't lie.  At present, NetBSD lies to the user
>   | about DOS style partitioned disks.
>
> What's the lie?   NetBSD basically ignores DOS style partitioning
> (other than as it is used by the BIOS for booting).   As soon as a
> NetBSD label is found, it gets used, and it is all that matters.

The truth is out there :-) While it might be nice to have familar names
such as wd0a I think the OS should also provide access to the nasty real
world where /dev/wd0a is really (to make something up) /dev/hd/wd0/dos1/nb0

Can I, for instance, access the NetBSD/i386 file system sitting on a USB
disk when I plug that disk to a Mac?

enjoy,
Andrew