Subject: Re: Two NetBSDs on one (i386) drive
To: Rick Byers <>
From: Andrew Gillham <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/19/2001 09:41:44
On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 12:22:37PM -0500, Rick Byers wrote:
> Exactly!  That is why I think having more than one NetBSD partition could
> cause problems and confusion.  I still don't understand the need for being
> able to boot from more than one NetBSD partition on the same disk (since
> you could just use one boot partition, one bootloader and different
> root/data partitions for the seperate systems).

Seems like you could just build 1.5.x to only recognize partition type 165
(MBR_COMPAT or whatever), and build -current to only recognize type 169
and you would be set.  Means hacking sys/arch/i386/stand/* and the MD
disksubr stuff on both systems.  Better to pass in the MBR partition number
and have the boot code and kernel honor it when looking for the "NetBSD"