Subject: Re: Two NetBSDs on one (i386) drive
To: Rick Byers <rb-netbsd@BigScaryChildren.net>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/19/2001 09:41:44
On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 12:22:37PM -0500, Rick Byers wrote:

> Exactly!  That is why I think having more than one NetBSD partition could
> cause problems and confusion.  I still don't understand the need for being
> able to boot from more than one NetBSD partition on the same disk (since
> you could just use one boot partition, one bootloader and different
> root/data partitions for the seperate systems).

Seems like you could just build 1.5.x to only recognize partition type 165
(MBR_COMPAT or whatever), and build -current to only recognize type 169
and you would be set.  Means hacking sys/arch/i386/stand/* and the MD
disksubr stuff on both systems.  Better to pass in the MBR partition number
and have the boot code and kernel honor it when looking for the "NetBSD"
partition.

-Andrew