Subject: Re: denial of service shell script
To: Emmanuel Dreyfus <>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/18/2001 19:40:59
Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:
> The following script used to crash NetBSD and OpenBSD a few years ago, I
> just tested it on -current, just to check that it was fixed, and it
> seems to turn into a nice denial of service script now. After it ran,
> process table is full, and it seems I'm bound to reboot to fix things.

If you look into kern/kern_fork.c, non-root are not allowed
to fill the proc table completely, but root is.

'Don't run fork bombs as root'.

Jaromir Dolecek <>
-=  Those who would give up liberty for a little temporary safety deserve  =-
-=  neither liberty nor safety, and will lose both.  -- Benjamin Franklin  =-