Subject: Re: RAW access to files
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/12/2001 22:24:08
>> Isn't that what madvise(MADV_FREE) is for?
> MADV_FREE doesn't clean the pages if they are dirty.  If you want the
> dirty pages to be cleaned, you need to use MADV_DONTNEED.

Eek.  Might I suggest that madvise(2) be made clearer on this point?
The only description of the functions of the various arguments is a
half-line comment; while I can see what you said in the comments, I
didn't see it there without having read it in advance, and doubtles
others will make the same mistake.

I'd offer to do it myself, except I obviously don't understand the
semantics of the various arguments well enough.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign