Subject: Re: RAW access to files
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: Arne H Juul <Arne.Juul@osl.fast.no>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/12/2001 00:54:31
On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
 > On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 07:42:07PM +0100, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
 > > > this is more often called "direct i/o" or "unbuffered i/o".
 > > > it's on the list of things I want to add, but I haven't had time yet.
 > >
 > > it would be really good! with support in common mpeg/divx players etc..
 > > and with option in cp and dd
 >
 > Why do you think that "raw" I/O would be more efficient than the filesystem
 > + buffer cache doing readahead?

Because that's what benchmarks and real production use of some
applications with and without direct io show :-)  I don't think
"cp" is such a good example though, since you lose the readahead.
For some (typically database-like) apps it can be a pretty big boost.

Disclaimer:  We've actually *measured* the performance difference
for our app only on FreeBSD, Windows, Solaris, and Linux, AFAIK.

--
Arne H Juul                       Mail:  Arne.Juul@fast.no
System administrator              Web:   http://www.fast.no/