Subject: Re: Kernel support for ELF-format core files
To: None <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Andrew Cagney <cagney@mac.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/11/2001 10:32:07
> On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 08:51:11AM -0800, Andrew Cagney wrote:
>
>  > Ah, thanks, sorry didn't realize this.  Might be time to teach GDB a
>  > little bit more about core files.
>
> Err, personally, I think the current arrangement (libbfd doing the
> section work) is good -- it allows you to pull them apart with e.g.
> objcopy :-)
>
> GDB really should be working with "bfd sections", which do not secessarily
> map 1:1 with actual sections in the file.  The .reg and .reg2 bfd sections
> are actually in one file section, even in Solaris.

True.  The abstraction is fine.  Sometimes, though, it can at least
appear to get in the way - for instance when trying to implement code
that writes core files.  That is outside the scope of this discussion
though.

>  > > Yes, I know.  Those pseudo-sections are put together by libbfd.  The
>  > > number after the / is actually ((lwpid << 16) | pid).
>  > > > Hmm, definitly time to do this.
>
> Err... gdb already deals with this properly.  As far as I can tell, anyway.

Back in '93 a 64k process table was considered huge, now, well, you know
:-)  GDB can handle very large process id's but I'm not so sure about
some of the interfaces.

enjoy,
Andrew