Subject: Re: RAW access to files
To: None <>
From: None <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/11/2001 07:36:55
> On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 07:42:07PM +0100, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> > > this is more often called "direct i/o" or "unbuffered i/o".
> > > it's on the list of things I want to add, but I haven't had time yet.
> >
> > it would be really good! with support in common mpeg/divx players etc..
> > and with option in cp and dd
> Why do you think that "raw" I/O would be more efficient than the
> filesystem buffer cache doing readahead?
> 	-is

As an interresting side point, I've heard rumors that Solaris 9 will
include a "direct I/O" feature in UFS.  For what [good] reasons, I'm not
sure, but I'm sure there have to be valid reasons...

"The only thing that's worse is when some guy with an iron cross tatoo
kicks the shit out of you to amuse your girlfriend.  God, I hate LA."
   - Thor Lancelot Simon