Subject: Re: Kernel support for ELF-format core files
To: None <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Andrew Cagney <cagney@mac.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/09/2001 22:02:22
>  * "NetBSD-CORE@nn" (where nn is the lwpid of the LWP) for
> 	  notes that apply only to the specified LWP (e.g. register
> 	  contents).  Since the kernel on the trunk doesn't yet support
> 	  LWPs, these currently just look like "NetBSD-CORE@0".

FYI, for light weight process registers, GDB (gdb/corelow.c) appears to
expect ``.reg/<LWPID>'' and/or ``.reg''.

For instance, on Solaris 2.5.1, examining a core file, I see:

	.reg/90680
		I suspect this is the primary thread

	.reg	I think this is the same as .reg/90680
		for compatability.

	.reg2	contains the FP registers

	.reg2/90680
		contains the same FP registers

The really interesting thing is that it would appear that the first
threaded core file support in GDB was added for LynxOS and not Solaris
which suggests this is a common convention.

While I don't know where the 2 in .reg2 which contains the FP registers
comes from, a guess is that 2+PT_GETREGS==PT_GETFPREGS has something to
do with it.

Can I suggest doing a little bit of research here.

enjoy,
Andrew