Subject: re: usage of config(8) def* directives
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/07/2001 10:51:10
   On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 11:22:06AM -0500, John Hawkinson wrote:

   > Also, do you know why we don't seem to have /usr/sahre/doc/smm/02.config?
   > It appears that FreeBSD has it (or at least, http://docs.freebsd.org/).

   We don't use "old" (4.2) config; we use "new" (Torek) config.  The syntax
   is quite different and as we're the only major user of it, our new-config
   has evolved so that it's very different from what was in 4.4BSD.  The
   documentation in the SMM is for old-config.

   Consequently, there is no comprehensive documentation for our config.  I
   know of at least two people who have started to write some, but both gave
   up.

config(9) and autoconf(9) seem to do a pretty good job these days!

.mrg.