Subject: Re: Keyboard difficulties
To: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/05/2001 23:19:10
On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 11:07:23PM +0100, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> On 2001.12.05 19:51 Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>
> > It's not completely clear that the hardware supports this.
> The Hardware does not support it. But as practice shows it works
> nevertheless. Remember those cheap keyboard/mouse/monitor multiswitches
> to connect two or four machines to a single keyboard/mouse/monitor
> set...

Yes, I know this, I have some. Some of my NetBSD machine can recover from
booting without keyboard without troubles, some don't. It seems completely
dependant on the motherboard.

> > I've seen PCs where it would be impossible to get the keyboard
> > working for the BIOS if it wasn't pluged at boot time
> I found that it is often no problem to connect the keyboard when the OS
> is already booted. Except NetBSD, that strictly refuses to recognize the
> keyboard.

It depends on hardware. I have machines where it is working fine,
even if plugged after boot.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>