Subject: Re: usage of config(8) def* directives
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/05/2001 11:48:00
On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 11:22:06AM -0500, John Hawkinson wrote:

> Also, do you know why we don't seem to have /usr/sahre/doc/smm/02.config?
> It appears that FreeBSD has it (or at least, http://docs.freebsd.org/).

We don't use "old" (4.2) config; we use "new" (Torek) config.  The syntax
is quite different and as we're the only major user of it, our new-config
has evolved so that it's very different from what was in 4.4BSD.  The
documentation in the SMM is for old-config.

Consequently, there is no comprehensive documentation for our config.  I
know of at least two people who have started to write some, but both gave
up.

    And now he couldn't remember when this passion had flown, leaving him so
  foolish and bewildered and astray: can any man?
						   William Styron