Subject: Re: Keyboard difficulties
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/05/2001 09:49:19
On 2001.12.04 11:57 Chuck McManis wrote:

> And there is the small issue that since on "cheapo" motherboards the
> 5v line isn't fused "hot plugging" a mouse or keyboard can be "quick
> frying"  of your motherboard.
[...]
> If you want to hot plug such things
> then perhaps the USB drivers would be more suitable.
That is true when you need a real hot plugable keyboard. I encountered
this problem too the hard way. I forgot to plug in the keyboard when I
powered on a PeeCee that I had moved. I was not able to log in in any
way so I had to reboot with the power switch. This is no acceptable
solution.
NetBSD really should tolerate a "Uuups I forgot to plug in the keyboard"
error.