Subject: Re: Adding B_WRITETHRU -- file system question
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/04/2001 11:55:49
On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 08:47:47PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

 > BTW, is B_ORDERED really used ? I see it's set in bowrite() but I can't
 > find what uses bowrite.

No, it's not currently used.  Having had a discussion about it with
several people, I think B_ORDERED will probably go away.

 > Hum, I'm not sure how to enforce this for IDE. I guess we should just disable
 > the write cache for IDE disks.

I think this should be a user policy decision; if they want to play
fast-and-loose, they can, or they can disable the write cache on their
disks.  The idea behind my changes is that you can be safe if playing
fast-and-loose on disks that can provide that safety.