Subject: Re: per-process hostid
To: Manuel Bouyer <>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/02/2001 16:37:30
Shouldn't hostid be purged entirely and live in compat code only?
I'd hate to add another uses to it.

Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> Hi,
> I've recently needed (for reasons I don't want to explain in a public
> forum :) to run on the same machine different processes which need to "see"
> different hostid. For this I've implemented a per-process hostid
> (trivial with the proc.<pid> sysctl tree :). The attached patch is incomplete,
> especially I didn't deal with a few issues:
> - gethostid() call in libc
> - whenever we want a new MIB for kern.sysctl, and have the old one
>   return proc.$$.hostid (for binary compatibility with older programs).
> I'll handle this if this change is to be commited.
> Does anyone has strong objections about this being commited ?
> I agree this is a special use of hostid :)
> --
> Manuel Bouyer, LIP6, Universite Paris VI.
> --

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

Jaromir Dolecek <>
-=  Those who would give up liberty for a little temporary safety deserve  =-
-=  neither liberty nor safety, and will lose both.  -- Benjamin Franklin  =-