Subject: struct ucred changed.
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/29/2001 11:23:08
Hi,

I just changed cr_ref and cr_ngroups to be u_int32_t in struct
ucred, recompiled and rebooted my kernel. I was still able to mount
both nfs and ffs filesystems. Since this changes the size of 'struct
export_args', some things might break, although I have not observed
any adverse effects.

Filesystems that use export_args in their mount args:

	adosfs, filecore, cd9660, msdosfs, ntfs, ffs, mfs.

Since things appear to work, should we bother to version mount(2)
and nfssvc(2)?

If we do, then that is a lot of work, but we can make each
<filesystem>_args structure contain a version number (like nfs
does) so that we don't run into the same problem in the future.

What do you think? Can someone else try the same experiment and
report results.  I tried it on an i386 box.

christos