Subject: Re: New hash algorithm - FNV - for use in the kernel
To: Herb Peyerl <>
From: Todd Vierling <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/28/2001 11:26:45
On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Herb Peyerl wrote:

:  > ...and you'll drive away the retrocomputing geeks in droves.  One of
:  > NetBSD's greatest strengths is that it runs on an immense spectrum of
:  > machines from sub-1MIP VAXen and Sun-2s through bleeding-edge killer
:  > desktops.  Do you really want to lose that low end?
: This is a terrific point, however, I don't think we want to gain a
: reputation of "NetBSD is great if you want to run old hw, but it's
: at the expense of serious performance optimizations on newer hw
: so you're better off to run <insert other OS here>"...

Shouldn't it be possible to have more than one hashing algorithm available
for indexing the kernel's hashtables?  There are CPP conditionals that could
be used for this purpose.  <wide grin>

-- Todd Vierling <>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support --