Subject: Re: New hash algorithm - FNV - for use in the kernel
To: David Laight <David.Laight@btinternet.com>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/27/2001 16:50:42
On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 12:31:29AM -0000, David Laight wrote:

 > This is NFS, all the implementations are clones of each other,
 > I'd guess that there is little difference between the implementations.

Then you would be guessing wrong.

The 4.4BSD implementation shares no code with the Sun implementation,
for example.  The Linux implementation is also completely independent.

Take a look at tcpdump's code sometime for trying to determine which
file handle format it's looking at.  Note it seldom gets the guess
right.

 > Actually, given we are talking of NFS here - where is this hashing?
 > The only place I can think of is the client assigning responses to
 > outstanding requests.

It's used for a bunch of things .. grep for "nfs_nget" in sys/nfs.