Subject: re: Wine & NetBSD?
To: Chuck Cranor <chuck@xxx.research.att.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/22/2001 07:08:41

   i think this is due to things like this appearing in the ELF ld scripts:
     . = 0x08048000 + SIZEOF_HEADERS;

   i would like to know where this magic 0x08048000 number comes from
   and what the ~128MB of address space before "start" is supposed to be
   used for now.  does anyone know?

as jason hinted, this is from ELF basically.  as i understand it,
it was chosen so that the stack could grown downwards from the
bottom of the program, thus allowing a single region for mapping.
but it occurs to me that this is incongruent with r/o text
mappings vs. r/w data/stack mappings...

levine's "linkers & loaders" book explains it but i don't have my
copy handy...