Subject: Re: Wine & NetBSD?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Bang Jun-Young <bjy@mogua.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/21/2001 04:09:49
On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 01:50:25PM -0500, Todd Vierling wrote:
> Yes, the *KERNEL* is free to choose any address which is valid if MAP_FIXED
> is not set.  A userland program (Wine) has no say in the matter.  End of
> story.
>
> In particular, the straw example you gave had a completely bogus
> expectation:  you thought that mmap(0x50000000, ...)  without MAP_FIXED
> would remap 0x50000000.  It *cannot*, from the citation I gave:

I know it cannot, but why can we never mmap at 0x500000 while we can at
0x50000000? This is definitely not Wine's fault.

> The current implementation works perfectly well based on my experience and
> reading of the spec.  `If it ain't broke, don't fix it.'
>
> Changing the NetBSD kernel just to make one program's bogus expectations
> work is not the solution.  Wine will still have bogus expectations.

No, without this patch COMPAT_PECOFF would be also mostly useless. Then
you should remove it from the repository. This is NetBSD's problem and
should be fixed.

Jun-Young

--
Bang Jun-Young <bjy@mogua.org>