Subject: Re: Wine & NetBSD?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: David Laight <David.Laight@btinternet.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/20/2001 17:44:42
>     since wine is a special case application that needs to manage its
> virtual address space itself, it seems clear to me that for it to
> function properly it never wants the kernel to choose the address for
> its mappings and therefore should always use MAP_FIXED for its mappings.
> it should also avoid functions like malloc() that independently use
> sbrk() or anonymous mmap() (MAP_ANON) to allocate memory because it has
> no control over where those mappings go.   to work in all cases, wine
> needs complete control over its memory mappings.

How does wine expect to work on systems that convert read and write (of
disk files) into mmap(); copy(); munmap(); sequences?
(I haven't looked at netBSD, but solaris and unixware 2 definitely do that)

Although these mappings are temporary, if wine uses threads they could
get in the way!  Trouble is all sorts of library routines want to access
files!

    David