Subject: Re: memory consumption of crunched binaries
To: Aaditya Rai <ARai@rhapsodynetworks.com>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/15/2001 21:01:47
Aaditya Rai wrote:
> I have a piece of hardware (custom) with constrained disk space and lots of
> ram. Since I had to put a lot of my programs on it, I decided to crunch all
> my programs and came up with a surprisingly small binary (about 8M instead
> of 35M). Everything was cool, untill I realized that each of my programs
> when run, occupy at least 9.1Mb RAM (as opposed to 800KB for non-crunched).
> Since most of them are daemons this is just not acceptable in my case :-(.
> I can understand why this could be happening, but is there a way to make
> them occupy less Ram when loaded...? (e.g. crunch them differently, or
> crunch libraries separately etc.)

That 9.1MB is daemons' private memory, or all memory used by the
programs? If the latter, ~8MB of it is binary text, which is shared between
processes. So, only ~1.1MB of extra physical memory is actually allocated
per-process.

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org> http://www.NetBSD.org/Ports/i386/ps2.html
-=  Those who would give up liberty for a little temporary safety deserve  =-