Subject: Re: QUESTION: real-time, interrupt latency & atom process
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Michael Lyle <mlyle@recourse.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/13/2001 20:34:53
It should be possible to do considerably better than this.  Note that on
small (486 class) x86 PC's RTLinux achieves interrupt latencies <15usec.

Real time devices need a special purpose interrupt path; the rest of the
kernel being in a coherent state shouldn't be a necessity for time-critical
interrupts to be serviced.  You just need a seperate message queueing system
which handles atomic commitment properly that can dispatch the data to user
space.  (Getting acceptable degrees about context-switch latency and runtime
for real-time processes is a completely different matter, so the queues don't
fill).

Mike

--
Michael P. Lyle
Chief Technical Officer

The contents of this message are confidential.
Copyright 2001 M. Lyle