Subject: Re: Possible to build a powerpc disk (disklabel + fs) on an i386?
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/11/2001 22:41:07
gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net> writes:
> Fair enough. Then, "it'd be nice if we had a single installboot
> source base which would compile properly for a given install
> target disklabel and (plausibly different) binary execution target."
>
> I'm well aware that that's not easy, and blissfully unaware,
> probably, of just how complicated it really would be. :^>

It is very, very difficult. Every system on earth has firmware with a
very different idea of how booting should work.

That said, much of the task is common (finding blocks in a disk,
writing to them, calculating which blocks are associated with a file
in a file system, etc), and it should be reasonably possible to
construct a framework in which a lot of the code was shared.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@wasabisystems.com