Subject: Re: lkm ELF symbols
To: None <>
From: Perry E. Metzger <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/07/2001 16:40:54
Wesley Chen <> writes:
> If this is the case, I'd like to contribute my implementation of the ELF
> symbol support for loadable kernel modules on 1.5.2. This should improve
> the debuggability of the NetBSD kernel. Woul you or someone on the
> mailing list explain to me what the process of integrating my code is,
> please?

It is quite easy. If it is small, you should probably start by
send-pr'ing the code (as patches, usually) as an an enhancement
request, and then mention in a couple of places (as you just did) that
the code exists. If it is a small thing and well written, typically
someone will simply integrate it.

If it is something big, you probably should put the code up for review
(perhaps by FTP with a mail message announcing it) and get a person
with commit privileges to integrate them.

Of course, if you start writing enough code often enough, someone will
inevitably try to convince you get commit privileges yourself...

Perry E. Metzger
NetBSD Development, Support & CDs.