Subject: Re: vnd, VOP_ and encrypted fs.
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <>
From: Todd Vierling <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/29/2001 15:41:14
On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

: There's a couple of things this should really have, if we're going to
: include it in NetBSD:
: 1) Support in the very similar code for swapping to files.
: 2) random-key support, for data you don't care about keeping across a
:    reboot (e.g. swapfiles, /tmp).
: 3) support for a key passed in from the bootblocks, and a mountroot hook
:    to configure the encrypted vnd would be a huge win.

...but none of these should be a barrier to bringin in one part of the

This is something we've been missing for *ages*, and even if it only works
in one place (vnd) first, it's a Start.

-- Todd Vierling <>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support --