Subject: Re: vnd, VOP_ and encrypted fs.
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/29/2001 14:44:44
On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 06:36:15PM +0000, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> In article <3BDD6BD3.39093A4C@lundman.net>,
> Jorgen Lundman <lundman@lundman.net> wrote:
> >
> >The question is now, do I take the OBSD vnd.c sources and try to massage
> >them into NetBSD, or is there someone official who will do that anyway?
> >They seem to have done some other larger changes as well, calling
> >VOP_READ/VOP_WRITE, but it doesn't look too bad to convert. (Just
> >missing .actf and .active in struct buf.)
> >
> >Or do I just continue my work? I want to extend it a bit further, so you
> >can pick the cipher to use (with ioctl/from vnconfig) of all the
> >in-kernel available ciphers (as well as a few testers). As well as, once
> >it is done, bring it to on disk drivers (ccd or raid).
>
> I think that we should probably merge in the OpenBSD changes if they look
> ok, and enhance them as you suggest.

There's a couple of things this should really have, if we're going to
include it in NetBSD:

1) Support in the very similar code for swapping to files.
2) random-key support, for data you don't care about keeping across a
   reboot (e.g. swapfiles, /tmp).
3) support for a key passed in from the bootblocks, and a mountroot hook
   to configure the encrypted vnd would be a huge win.

    And now he couldn't remember when this passion had flown, leaving him so
  foolish and bewildered and astray: can any man?
						   William Styron