Subject: Re: IA64
To: Lennart Augustsson <lennart@augustsson.net>
From: Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/24/2001 14:08:04
* Lennart Augustsson <lennart@augustsson.net> [011024 13:55] wrote:
> Well, it boots to multi-user mode, so it must be fairly far along.

[re FreeBSD on ia64]

True, but there's still a bunch of issues, getting through a "make
buildworld" and some of the toolchain still needs a bunch of work.

Considering how far along FreeBSD is, it may be a better idea to
wait a couple of more weeks if there's an intention to use FreeBSD's
base as there's still a bunch of subtle issues to work out.

I'm not really involved, just been watching from the sidelines.

We've also had a lot of luck getting support from various vendors,
(which took quite an effort from certain developers) perhaps people
interested in doing the NetBSD port could try me as a last resort
as I may be able to proxy support through some of the channels that
we (FreeBSD) have.

-Alfred